Thursday, November 22, 2007

Six months of "limbo"

After all the drama of the previous six months, things now settled back into a situation similar to a "Phoney" war. Days, weeks, months went by, with us all at work---but that was all. Every now and then incedents cropped up, all spread out with weeks inbetween. First, I saw a copy of a letter from Rhyl Branch to Head Office. It had.nt been kept confidential, so the news, which we all suspected, was out. The "Butterworth bag" had contained cash, he claimed it had held £105,000 in cash plus about 50 golden soverigns plus a neclace or something constructed out of gold soverigns. So-----the total haul had gone well past the quarter of a million. Another copy letter, at a later date. Mr Butterworth was not worried about being reimbursed straight away so long as he got it in the end. Ernie Taylor, on the other hand, had already been reimbursed by cash out of an internal bank account, and---he was'ent going to give it back. No mention of Mr Myers at all. At some time during the long, hot summer I asked our new Chief Clerk, the previous Inspector, "Where are the Police these days, we never seem to see them." He replied in the form of a joke, something like "well they go off every now and then, solve a murder, then do a bit of work on the Bank job, then something else." If he did know what they were doing, he was'ent saying. But I, personally, never, ever saw anything of them again, apart from accidental sightings in the street or pub about two or three times. I could well be wrong, but I think, I repeat think, they thought they should have been called in much earlier and the Bank job was now down the list on their priorities. All the staff remained the same. I have been told that this is normal Bank practice. If there is a fraud that they cannot put their finger on, they leave everyone together to see who will crack. Bryn Roberts, our ex-chief clerk, was still reported to be working as a taxi driver----and still on full pay. Early in December, twelve months after the first loss was discovered, I had to report to Local Head Office in Liverpool. To be seen by no less than the Senior Local Director, Mr Big in Barclays, North Wales. I was'ent given a real telling off, more a sort of disappointed guardian who felt I had let the side down. In a way, I suppose he was right. I should'nt have been borrowing money off junior clerks, even if other members of the staff had also done it. I should'nt have been receiving frequent phone calls from attractive married women. I should'nt have taken out a second mortgage without telling the Bank, although this was certainly not illegal. But, it was all too late now. He said that Head Office stated that it was extremely unlikely that I would ever get any promotion within Barclays even if I stayed until I was 90, and I was being moved to Kirkby, Liverpool Branch, which, as I found out, was just about the worst Branch in the whole of the Liverpool/North Wales district. Not the happiest Xmas presant, but I had asked for it

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, i dont usually read blogs but this 1 cought my eye and i just couldnt stop. does it finish where you talk about moving to the liverpool branch or am i just not doing it right? like you mike, im new to all this blogging buisness too lol

Michael said...

After ten years I am going to finish off this blog. I have forgotten how to post new blogs so this is just a test run

Michael said...

After ten years I have just spent a couple of hours reading this story. I don't know how many have read it right through. But now to give it the finishing touch, feel a bit excited. I'm writing it from the other side of the world. It's still all true but if by some unlikely event the Police decide to give me a call when I am back in the u k, I will just say I've made it all up to get a bit of attention.

Michael said...

Strange thing the Internet the second comment has turned up on my incoming emails don't ask me how or why. Never mind a blog is public. If it finds its way onto my greatormefamilygolf Facebook or website it might add a bit of spice for my visiting golfers. "Shake hands with a bank robber.

Michael owen said...

O k I give this another final end

Michael said...

I never finished this story. Partly because I have a younger sister who also worked in martins bank a few years after the robbery.
She has read this blog. And my niece. They both said they found it exciting. Neither of them asked me if I had done it, which I found a bit surprising.
But I not sure. The whole truth. It might upset my sister especially. And she is not well at all. She 16 years younger than me.
But this robbery haven’t been mentioned for close on twelve years and I don’t suppose she spends much time on the internet.