Saturday, December 01, 2007

Has the BIG ONE got away?

Aroundabout the beginning of March, over three months after the original discovery of missing cash, rumours were spreading around the Bank. It appeared that after all this time, someone, it was suggested in wispered tones that it was our Manager, not one of the Inspectors, suggested that---would it be a good idea if the Bank very discretly asked any customers who the Bank THOUGHT, and no more than THOUGHT, had deedboxes which MIGHT contain cash or valuables, to come in and check them out. Why no one had thought of doing this earlier goodness only knows. Now, I may be treading on thin ice here. So, to my disclaimer. What I write is fact---fact from 40 years ago. Anything the reader might guess at, that is up to them. So. any legal gentlemen who might be asked to read this, any confidentiality clause I might have been bound by 40 years ago, I doubt if you are going to revive it now. In any case, I'm 75 years old, minimum pension, no capital of note. And I'll drag my heels for a few years, if I can do that until I'm 95 I won't be bothered!!! So. enter Mr Billy Williams, Son of the late, great Billy (Big Wheels) Williams, sadly deceased about 1962. Mr Billy Williams junior was probably the premier showman in Rhyl. He did'nt bank with Barclays, but he did have a large deed box deposited there. It was large, wrapped in brown paper, tied with string, sealing wax over the knots. Mr Billy Williams junior withdrew this box, rapidly, and I, personally, never saw it again. Did I sense that someone on our staff was thinking "Damn, the big ones got away?" Next, Mr J.J.Butterworth, the owner of the first (or last, depending which way you travelled) fairground on the prom in Rhyl. A customer of Barclays. He had a reasonably large holdold type of case deposited with the Bank. Wynne and I had often joked about "The Butterworth bag." In the summer, whenever JJB had access to his case, afterwards it had grown fatter and fatter. In the winter, it got thinner and thinner. Mr.Butterworth withdrew this bag. BUT, slowly, over the next few weeks, even months, a certain mystery surrounded this bag. None of the staff, and, most certainly, none of the Inspectors, would talk about it. No one knew anything, but some gave hints. Mr. Lewis, our Chief Cashier, gave hints, knowing looks remarks like "empty, its all gone." But, Mr Lewis did, to a certain extent, live in a bit of a dream world. He was prone to exagerate to give himself a bit of importance. So, you could'nt put too much faith in anything he said. But, there was this doubt amongst all of us, what had gone on?

No comments: